Friday, February 27, 2009

Everybody Ought to Go to Sunday School

I've been going to Sunday School for as long as I can remember. When I wanted to and even when I didn't! My parents had me dedicated to the Lord in an united pentecostal church before I was even a year old.

Two decades later, okay three decades later, I am finally making good on that promise. I am a mother of three and I too have dedicated my children to the Lord, but only now do I really understand what that truly means.

I've had it drilled in my head for years that if I want to enter the kingdom of God, I need to repent of my sins, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Ghost. Yes, as shocking as it might be, even I have sin. Come on, aren't we all born into the world sinners? That means you too!

If you pull out your bibles and dust them off you'll see in Acts 2:38 it says;

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (KJV)

Sounds pretty straight forward right? As much as I enjoy my BlackBerry, high-speed Internet and my Tim Horton's coffee, heaven sounds pretty good!

My family and I started attending a new church and as it would seem, bells went off. A light came and it was like duh! So like I said, I've decided to make good on that promise years ago and I have chosen to God in my life. I'm not perfect and I will never claim to be. There are 3 keys that will open those pearly gates.

  1. Repentance
  2. Baptism
  3. the Holy Ghost

I've got the first key although I'm not sure you ever really stop 'repenting'. No man is perfect (or wo-man) so I'm sure we'll need to ask forgiveness from time to time. Just don't make a habit of it.

This Sunday, I will have the second key. Yep, I'm getting baptized. It's almost as nerve racking as having a baby, but hopefully no where near as painful! (that's a joke, poor taste or not, a joke!)

Some people get the gift of the Holy Ghost before there are baptized. Others get it when they are baptized and others get it a little later. That's the third key. the bible teaches us the evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost is speaking in tongues.

I'm really excited about Sunday and even more excited to know that I am that much closer to being ready when Jesus comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment